Monday, March 30, 2009

In case you were wondering...

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you turned your microwave on with nothing in it? I can answer that question!

Last night we got home after a VERY long day of sorting through things at Jim's mom's house and moving furniture to new homes. By the time we unloaded our stash, fed the animals, and showered the dirt and grime away, we were bone weary. Oh dear. Eight o'clock and we haven't eaten yet. I find steak and potatoes is the easiest meal there is to fix. So, Jim got the gas grill going and I scrubbed two potatoes and wrapped them for the microwave. (I prefer baking them for real but last night was one of those "do it the quick and easy way" nights). Anyway, while Jim was tending to the steaks, I did the potatoes.

After turning the microwave on for five minutes, I ploppped down in my favorite chair and closed my eyes. All of a sudden I hear sizzling, pop and when my eyes flew open I saw FIRE! Oh shit! I forgot to put the potatoes in the microwave! They were on the counter below it... Oh dear...

It turned out the fire was just a flash of some particle of food that was apparently left on the tray (at least that is all I can figure out). I cautiously opened the door, fearing the worst, and well it looked ok.... So I popped the taters in, turned it on and away we go! Taters got done the same time as the steaks. Wala insta meal!

17 comments:

A. K. said...

This thing happens. LOl.. Be more careful!

MarmiteToasty said...

Do you know the best way to save time but still get crispy skinned jacket spuds.... zap them in the microwave first and then just shove them in the oven on high for 5 minutes to crisp the skins :)

My lads put all manner of things in our old microwave to zap when I bought me new one, I did make them carry it out into the garden though lol..... eggs exploded and tins of beans, well what can I say, but fank goodness for a fire extinquisher LOL

Glad all was ok your end......

x

Intense Guy said...

I;ve accidentally put a plate with a metal rim on it mine - holy mackeral, what a show!

Glad you and your nukebox are okay - when you say, "fed the animals" does this include the sheep?

Punkn said...

LOL A.K. I'll definitely be more careful...
Dang Marmie, only you would turn your lads loose on a dying microwave
Iggy, I've not done that and don't plan too ;) (course I didn't plan on turning the dang thing on with nothing in it either).
Of course feeding the animals include the sheep! Jim gives them a little grain every day to keep them coming in anytime he calls them. And of course, Radar is given a chew treat everyday for all of his hard work!

Punkn said...

Oh, and thanks for the tip Marmie - I didn't know that but will try a nuke/bake baked potatoe next time.

Jess said...

My one and only microwave disaster was when I put some butter in for 10 seconds still in it's foil wrapping. Needless to say I soon realised my mistake!

Karla said...

Wowsa! Be careful! Don't want you getting fried too!

ChicagoLady said...

It's a good thing you don't watch Supernatural on Thursday nights, lol. It involved a microwave and putting something in there that doesn't belong.

I'm glad you didn't break your nuker completely, that would have sucked.

Have you seen the Southwest Airlines commercial, with the guy heating some Chinese food in the micro, with a fork in it? Wanna get away? LOL

Tori_z said...

I did wonder actually. Thanks for finding out for me. ;)

I am glad the microwave still works though.

FYI... The same sort of thing happens if you forget and put one of them metal tray type things in the microwave.

Oh, and you can burn a hole in the bottom of even a microwave safe plastic dish if you're cooking noodles in the microwave and forget to add water.

And cooking sausages for 30 minutes in a microwave will fill the house (and the neighbour's house) with thick smoke, and make the microwave smell a bit smokey for some time afterwards.

*Tries to look innocent*

Tori_z said...

P.S. I only put the sausages on for that long because they were still partially frozen and I wanted to make sure they were defrosted and cooked properly.

junyah said...

we had a microwave that quit on us, and i rembered seeing a sign outside of a guys house on the way to where i bought my snowmoible way back when, i fix tv's mirowaves and hamradios,)( i dont owen one now). so i took it to this guy, and i told him if it looks like its going to cost more than 50 bucks, the next time you go to the dump take it with you, so he said,.. well i'll look at it and let you know,he calls me the next day and said i have it all done. I said ,(get this) how much do i owe you , he said $49.00......... i didnt see that one comeing .. lol

Punkn said...

LOL Jess - foil is foil, even if it is only on butter.
Hmmmm Karla - fried Punkn - it might be kinda tasty....
I've not seen that commercial Chicago and don't watch Supernatural - I guess that is a good thing. I'm going to have to watch for that commercial now, though.
OMG Tori! Is turning the microwave on empty the only thing you HAVEN'T done?????? I am laughing so hard here. Thanks for the tips girl.

Punkn said...

ROFLMAO JR. You should have seen that coming. You handed him your top dollar! I'll bet you never have him fix anything for you again...

rebel said...

That's funny, well kinda. I put one of my Mom's china plate's with gold trim and it sparked and popped and just about gave me a heart attack!

LadyStyx said...

Yeah, it's a good thing you didnt watch, Punkn. They really didnt spare the gore this week and I spent about 1/3 of the episode turned away from the tv screen.

As for putting (or not putting) things in microwaves, I've never had the "pleasure" of doing this. My ex, on the otherhand, wondered why the microwave sparked when he tossed an Arby's roast beef sandwich in to heat it up. Maybe it's because he didnt unwrap it? Duh! Unlike Hank, we didnt HAVE the money to fix it if he totally messed it up either.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Yikes! I'm glad everything turned out ok! I've done that with my tea before...nuke nothing, when I THINK there is a mug of water in there, lol!

Tori_z said...

Pretty much, LOL!

Although, it wasn't me who found out that you can burn a hole in the bottom of a microwave if you cook something for too long in an old microwave... That was the person I used to babysit for. ;)